If you are interested in 2 stroke engines and bikes please follow this blog or check back regularly as I will continue to post information and projects as time goes on.

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Port Molds with Composimold

Just had my first go at making a transfer port mold on a stock NSR50 cylinder. The product I used is called Composimold. It is a reusable material that can be melted in the microwave and then poured for molding.
I wanted to do this to get an idea of how the stock ports were aimed and also take measurements that would otherwise be a pain to get with tiny measuring tools.

I used petroleum jelly and a small brush to put a light coating on the walls of the ports.
Next I made a small wall out of cardstock so I could stand the molding up and have the 2 connected. I should have put some jelly on the paper but forgot and it did tear some off when I removed it so don't forget to do that. I also used masking tape to tape off the port windows in the cylinder.

Next I took a small chuck and put it in the microwave for 40 seconds. It was melted and bubbling when done, I stirred it up, let it settle for about 60 seconds and then poured.
I then tossed it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and once it was set I easily pulled the mold out.
          
All in all it turned out nice. No bubble issues like some people have mentioned. The detail is pretty good since I can clearly see the petroleum jelly brush marks on the flat turned surface on the cylinder base. Also, it was removed very easily and holds is shape well. Seems to be a good product for this job and is not too pricey!

Cheers,

Links:
This is where I bought the material. It is available all over the web if you Google it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ComposiMold-Reusable-Molding-Material-20-Ounces-Food-Molds-783583657570-/152348946146?hash=item2378b46ee2:g:62AAAOSw5cNYSaB1

No comments:

Post a Comment